An improperly discarded cigarette has been determined as the origin of a blaze that caused an estimated $450,000 in damages on August 31.
The findings come following an investigation.
It happened in the Creekside area and damaged three homes and a trio of vehicles.
The Grande Prairie Fire Department reminds smokers to be responsible when butting out:
- Never extinguish smoking materials in plant pots. Dirt such as peat moss burns.
- Always extinguish smoking materials in deep, non-combustible ashtrays.
- Make sure that matches and cigarette butts in ashtrays are wet and completely extinguished before you put them in a garbage container.
- Never discard smoking materials on the ground.
- Keep lighters, matches and cigarettes out of the reach of children.